Athletics Track & Sport Pitches
The Pickaquoy Centre is where you will find Orkney’s only 400 metre, six lane synthetic running track (eight sprint lanes), which is completely floodlit making it ideal for use at any time, day or night.
Please note that due to COVID-19, there have been additional measures put in place when using the Athletics Track to provide the safest possible environment for our customers and staff. To find out the full details of the changes that have been implemented, we ask that you read the bullet points below as well as the General Facility FAQ section on our Reopening Plans page before attending your session.
- All track sessions must now be booked in advance. We recommend you book online, otherwise you can book over the phone on 01856 879900.
- Please check in at Reception no more than five minutes before your booked time slot.
- You must wear a face covering when transiting through the Centre. Your face covering can be removed once you are outside and participating in your activity.
- Be sure to adhere to physical distancing at all times when on the Athletics Track.
- We highly encourage you read the COVID Athletics Track Guidelines before your visit.
The Athletics Track is home to the Orkney Athletics Club and sees a number of other clubs and athletes using it as part of their training programmes.
Fancy trying out your own sprint sessions? See below for a few track training ideas that could be incorporated into your own fitness regime:
- 150m x 6 with 2 minutes recovery in between each sprint
- 60m x 6 with 2 minutes recovery in between each sprint
- Split 400m runs. Sprint 200m then pause on line for 30 seconds then run 200m again taking a 4 minute recovery afterward. Repeat this 4 times.
- 400m x 6 with 3 minute recovery in between each sprint
- 600m,500m,400,300m,200m. Taking a descending recovery time from 6 minutes down to 3 minutes before the 200m.
- 30m,40m,60m,80m then reverse the order and repeat. Take a slow walk back recovery for these.
- Sprint 300m then pause on the line for 30 seconds, then sprint 100m. Take a 6 minute recovery then repeat this 3-4 times.
All Weather Pitch
Our 3G floodlit synthetic pitch is Orkney’s premier all weather hockey pitch. This sand dressed facility is floodlit for year round use and includes equipment store and team dugouts and is home to Orkney Hockey Association.
The all weather pitch is ideal for training or competitions and is available for hire by clubs and groups.
For those that prefer to play on real grass we have a great selection of grass pitches available for training and matches. Our premium pitch, which is home to Orkney Rugby Football Club, is located inside the running track.
Primarily used for football and rugby, these pitches can also be hired for other events. An archery range is also encompassed within the grass pitch area.