The Pickaquoy Centre will see several changes to its services over the coming weeks as Scotland has moved ‘beyond level 0’.
Following a detailed review of the sportscotland guidance for ventilation procedures, and with physical distancing no longer legally required, activity spaces across the venue will be able to return to a higher capacity.
The changes that will take place are listed below:
• Check-ins for varying activities will be changing over the coming weeks. As Test & Protect is still required, we will be implementing new measures including options such as QR codes and sign-in sheets.
• ActiveLife members must bring their membership card and all members in the family, including children and babies, should have a card. Once Quick Ticket machines become available, members should use these to avoid congestion at reception. If you or a family member does not have a card, you can receive one for free from the reception desk.
The Phoenix Cinema
• Advanced booking and seating bubbles will be in place until 19th August. From 20th August there will no longer be a requirement to book in advance, although still recommended, or to sit in seating bubbles.
• Individuals can now attend a screening with people outwith their household but those 12 and over will still be required to wear a face covering whilst seated unless eating or drinking.
Gym & Fitness
• All Gym equipment has recently moved from the Arena and is now back to its original location in The Gym.
• The Gym will move to admissions only from Monday, 30 August. Quick Ticket machines will be available with the removal of required advanced booking. Customers will be expected to check-in at the Quick Ticket machines at The Gym or reception and use either the QR code or sign in and out at the entrance of The Gym (for track and trace purposes) and should complete their session within two hours.
• The Strength & Conditioning Gym (S&C) will have increased capacity with the same expectation to use the Quick Ticket machines and sign in and out upon arrival and departure as stated above.
• All Group X classes will be relocated back to either Studio 2 or the Quayside studio from Tuesday, 17 August. Advanced booking is essential.
Swimming Pool & Health Suite
• Due to staffing and operational requirements, we will keep the current published timetable for the Main and Leisure pools. However, we will continue to review our offering regularly with the aim to be back to normal in the near future.
• The Health Suite will be able to reopen over the coming weeks, a reopening date will be confirmed soon.
• Advanced booking will remain at this time with the aim to remove this requirement soon.
• All showers will be available with customers allowed to use shampoo and gels.
Climbing & Bouldering
• Capacity for climbing has increased to allow more people to climb for each session.
• The Bouldering Cave will be limited to six people, all individuals those 12 and over must wear their face covering whilst in the cave.
• Wall competency sign-offs and Bouldering Cave inductions are now available.
• The squash courts will be available at pre-pandemic levels. Advanced booking is recommended.
• There will no longer be a requirement to pre-book the track although that option will still be available to customers. Users should check-in using the Quick Ticket machine and scan the Scottish Governments QR code available at the machine for track and trace purposes. There will also be a sheet available in the crush area at the track to sign in and out.
Changing Rooms & Toilets
• All changing rooms, including shower facilities, and public toilets will be available across the venue from Monday 23 August, with some restrictions still in place on maximum occupancy.
• Jungle World will be available at pre-pandemic levels from Monday 30 August. This means that there will no longer be a requirement to pre-book your visit.
• Inflatables will continue to be available allowing more capacity.
• There will no longer be a requirement to leave the building whilst your children are attending their activity, i.e. swimming lessons.
Club and Arena Bookings
• We are currently accepting club bookings in the Arena. There is still some space available for the autumn season, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
• Court hire for badminton, table tennis and short tennis is bookable with additional slots available.
• The Picky Café is still under review with further details to be announced soon.
James Linklater, Managing Director of The Pickaquoy Centre, said: “We are delighted with this latest news on the further easing of restrictions. Our programme will evolve between now and the October holidays with the hope to return to a greater level of normality as we move through autumn into winter.
“Whilst capacity will increase and more activities will become available, you will continue to see signage and a one-way system in place. Physical distancing is no longer legally required, but we highly encourage you to give people space where you can.
“In addition, we ask that our customers continue to use the hand sanitisers in place throughout the facility and face masks are still required for those aged 12 and over while in transit. Our enhanced cleaning protocols will also remain.
“Customer input has been paramount to many of the decisions that have been made this past year and a half, and we would please ask that you continue to provide feedback. We want our customers to feel safe while also maximising the benefits that we have to offer.
“For any customers that may feel uncertain, we are happy to arrange a tour of the facility to help provide you with reassurances that we still have our COVID safety measures in place.
“Please email any feedback onto our Customer Services team. Likewise, if you would like to speak to a member of our management team, include that information in your email and we will give you a call back. Alternatively, you can pop into the Centre at any time.
“On behalf of all of us at Picky, I would once again like to thank the public for their ongoing support and I look forward to seeing you soon.”